A funeral mass was offered Sept. 29 at Our Lady of Libera Church for William J. Mailley, Jr. of North Bergen passed away Sept. 24. He was a letter carrier for the Hoboken Post Office. He was the husband of the late Bernice A.; father of Billy Mailley and his wife Suzanne and Deneen Kenny and her husband Martin; brother of Jean Marie Rodriguez, Diane Barrett and the late Margaret Muntzner, George Mailley and Frank Stapotsky; and grandfather of Melissa, Amanda, William and Mikayla.Services arranged by the Vainieri Funeral Home, North Bergen.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Ferdinand was selected by Roy Hodgson for the first time when the Three Lions boss unveiled his squad for the World Cup double-header with San Marino and Montenegro. Yet the move has just created more rancour as Ferguson is evidently uncertain whether the 34-year-old should be reporting for duty in Burton on Monday evening. “The issue is not the amount of games, the issue is his whole preparation for football,” said Ferguson. “It involves treatment, it involves rest, it involves heavy days followed by some light days followed by some easy days. “Our medical staff and fitness lads have done a great job with him. Because he hasn’t been playing when the international breaks have come along we have detailed all the things he has to do, therefore it is a disruption to his normal preparation.” With Ferdinand’s contract due to expire at the end of the season, there has to be a chance that, if the defender elects to resume an 81-cap international career two years since his last England appearance, Ferguson will choose not to offer him an extension to his present deal. However, the United boss accepts the final decision lies with Ferdinand, who could face Reading in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Saturday evening. “I was quite surprised when Roy Hodgson phoned me to say what he had done and I did say to him that I will talk to Rio,” said Ferguson. “Of course it is a concern and I will need to speak to our doctor because we prepare Rio in certain ways. “We have given him the treatments he needs for the various complaints he has in terms of his back and groin. So far it’s worked very well. Rio has been absolutely magnificent for us. “He has to make sure he’s going to be okay in terms of the number of games he plays because what he is enjoying is how we plan for him. That has allowed him to reach his best performance level for quite a few years.” Sir Alex Ferguson thinks it will be a major disruption to Rio Ferdinand’s training regime if the Manchester United defender does answer England’s call. Press Association read more
Ghanaian Sellas Tetteh has been named as caretaker boss of Sierra Leone as the search for a permanent coach is put on hold.Tetteh is the Ghana under-20 coach and will take the Leone Stars job after an agreement between the Sierra Leone and Ghana football associations.The 58-year-old has been contracted for three months.His first match will be an African Cup of Nations qualifier against champions Ivory Coast on 5 September.The venue for the match against this year’s Nations Cup winners is yet to be decided as Sierra Leone is currently not allowed to host international games due to Ebola.Tetteh, who won the 2009 Under-20 World Cup with Ghana, will be assisted by a group of local coaches. A SLFA statement reads: “The SLFA is honoured to inform the general public that the Ghanaian FA in a solidarity gesture has agreed to a three-month loan with the SLFA for Coach Sellas Teivi Tetteh to serve in a caretaker capacity as national coach for Leone Stars.””The Ghanaian FA President Kwesi Nyantakyi was keen to lend support to the SLFA as a sign of support and solidarity towards Sierra Leone’s determination to continue its participation in the games, despite tremendous mounting odds.”Leone Stars lost their opening Nations Cup qualifier 1-0 to Group I opponents Sudan in June, when John Jebbor Sherington was caretaker coach.Group I also includes 2017 Nations Cup hosts Gabon but their matches will not count towards qualification. Only the group winners advance to the finals.The former Black Stars and Rwanda coach will also be in charge of Sierra Leone’s first 2018 World Cup qualifying fixtures home and away to Chad in early October. If Leone Stars progress to the second round Tetteh, will continue in the role against Egypt in November.The SLFA has put on hold the selection of a permanent coach for Leone Stars until further notice, citing “delays in logistical procedures.”Six coaches have been shortlisted for the job including local trainer John Keister.The other five are all Europeans; Croatian Drago Mamic, Herzog Carsten of Germany, Belgian Luc Eymael, Serbian national Savisa Milosavljevic and Tahseen Jabbary of Netherlands.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports read more
Spain wrapped up qualification for next summer’s European Championships with a 4-0 win over Luxembourg but lost two key players to injury on Friday.The 2012 European champions had to make two substitutions within 33 minutes as David Silva was brought down by a hefty challenge and Alvaro Morata was stretchered off after colliding with two defenders.Santi Cazorla opened the scoring with a goal in the 42nd minute after Luxembourg keeper Jonathan Joubert could only parry Pedro Rodriguez’s shot into his path.Francisco Alcacer added a goal in the 67th minute and another in the 80th, while Cazorla scored his second and Spain’s fourth in the 85th minute as La Roja won Group C.Slovakia’s hopes of qualifying directly took a major hit as they lost 1-0 at home to Belarus. Stanislav Dragun provided the goal for the visitors in the first half, and even Aleksandr Martynovich’s second-half dismissal could not help Slovakia to find an equaliser.The result left Slovakia level on points in second place with Ukraine, who won 2-0 at Macedonia.Yevhen Seleznyov scored the first goal from a second-half penalty, while Artem Kravets added a late second.On the final matchday, Slovakia travel to Luxembourg while Ukraine host Spain. If both sides have the same result, Slovakia will qualify automatically based on their head-to-head results.In Group E, already-qualified England maintained their 100 percent record with a 2-0 win over Estonia. Theo Walcott beat the offside trap to finish from close range for England just before half-time.Raheem Sterling made it 2-0 with a goal in the 85th minute.Switzerland also completed their qualification with a 7-0 win at home to San Marino that included three penalties.Seven different players found the net for Switzerland, with Michael Lang, Gokhan Inler, Admir Mehmedi, Johan Djourou, Pajtim Kasami, Breel Embolo and Eren Derdiyok on target. Switzerland’s qualification was not sealed until Slovenia conceded a late equaliser in Lithuania and could not find a winner following a floodlight failure.Valter Birsa’s penalty opened the scoring, but Lithuania’s Arvydas Novikovas equalised four minutes from time to put Slovenia’s hopes of even a playoff place in danger after the 1-1 draw.In Group G, Russia stayed in good position to qualify with a 2-1 win in Moldova.Sergei Ignashevich made the breakthrough in the 58th minute and Artem Dzyuba doubled the advantage 20 minutes later. Russia stayed in second place, two points ahead of Sweden who won 2-0 in Liechtenstein thanks to goals by Martin Berg and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who also missed a penalty.Sweden are assured of at least a playoff spot after Montenegro lost 3-2 to Austria, who have already qualified.Marko Arnautovic’s 81st-minute equaliser and — after Mirko Vucinic was sent off — a stoppage-time winner by Marcel Sabitzer ended Montenegro’s campaign. A win would have kept their hopes of a playoff spot alive.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports read more
Johannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Double Olympics 800-metre champion Caster Semenya called herself “supernatural” this weekend after saying she hoped to compete in the 200m at the 2020 Tokyo Games.The 29-year-old South African cannot defend her 800m title as she refuses to abide by World Athletics testosterone-reducing regulations covering races between 400m and the mile.“I call myself supernatural,” said the three-time world 800m champion after clocking 23.49 seconds to win a provincial championships 200m final in Pretoria.The time she set here leaves her 0.69 sec outside the time needed to qualify for the July 24-August 9 Tokyo Olympics.Semenya will have at least four chances during April to lower her time to at least 22.80 sec and secure a place in the South African Olympics team.She can compete in three Athletics South Africa Grand Prix meetings and at the national championships.The champion was thrilled at her latest 200m time, having slashed 0.77 sec off her 2019 personal best in two races spanning seven days.“We are chopping the times and I call myself supernatural. I can do anything I want,” she told reporters.“You now me — I always challenge myself. This (switching from 800m to 200m) was not an easy decision to make.– ‘Anything is possible’ – “I am used to running two laps and then you come and run half a lap. You have to adjust, which is not easy, but anything is possible.“With what I have already done — I have run three 200m races — it is doable,” said Semenya as she eyes making the Tokyo qualifying time before the June 29 deadline.The athlete born in northern region capital Polokwane holds the South African records at 300, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500m.Semenya took the athletics world by storm 11 years ago when becoming the world 800m champion in Berlin at the age of 19.But as her list of successes grew, rival female athletes began to question how the South African could leave them trailing in her wake.Semenya is among a minority of female athletes who have an unusually high level of testosterone, which gives added strength.The media-shy South African has faced constant legal battles during her career, leading to temporary bans from competing in her favourite middle-distance event.The latest testosterone regulations left her with a choice of competing in the 200m or a distance longer than the mile.She has not clocked impressive times over longer distances, prompting her to seek the 200m route to Tokyo.Away from the athletics track, Semenya joined a Johannesburg-based football club last year but was unable to play immediately because she missed the registration deadline.Share on: WhatsApp read more
Darrell Wallace Jr. celebrates winning the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series truck race at Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, VA., Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)Wallace became just the second Black driver to win on NASCAR’s national level, and the first in a half-century. Scott won a race in Jacksonville, Fla., in December 1963 in the sport’s premier series.While the significance may have initially been lost on Wallace, that changed as the driver who also goes by the nickname “Bubba” was asked to appear on numerous morning news programs, give radio interviews and as he saw his twitter feed fill with ‘#history,’ he said.“It hasn’t hit me yet,” he said. “I think the only time it hit me was when I took the checkered, and then after that it still hasn’t hit me. I guess tomorrow or whatever. It usually takes a couple days for a big win to settle in. … But it’s been great seeing all the outlets that I’m on and doing all this stuff.“It’s for the better, and it’s trying to change the sport, and I’m all in for that.”Scott’s victory also was cause for celebration in Scott’s family. Darrell Wallace Jr., right, winner of Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck race, smiles as he listens to Wendell Scott Jr., left, during a news conference at Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, Va., Sunday, Oct. 27, 2013. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)by Hank Kurz Jr. AP Sports Writer MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) — Darrell Wallace Jr. said he would win at Martinsville Speedway, and then he went out and did it.He simply had no idea how big his victory was in Saturday’s NASCAR truck series race.“And then the remark and everything starts flowing in after about the history and the record set and Wendell Scott and all of it just came rushing after, and I had no idea,” Wallace said Sunday of the stir his victory caused. read more